Sunday, September 22, 2013

Have A Merry Christmas With A Kindle Novel

This Christmas I plan to be reading Christmas novels from my very own Kindle...maybe even sooner if the the "gods smile on me".  I've always been a big fan of reading and, while I have an iPad mini, I actually want to own a Kindle as well (I have my eye set on the Kindle Fire HD).

So what's with all the hype about these Kindle e-Readers?  Isn't a regular book that you can hold in your hands good enough?  Yes, and I still own hundreds and will continue to buy.  But there are some definite reasons to own an e-Book.



Kindle Paperwhite

At $119.00, this is certainly worth every penny and has been gaining in populrity. Some of my favorite options of the Kindle Paperwhite are:

  • no glare
  • I can read it with one hand, which is critical when I have a cup of coffee in the other
  • reviews show that it has great battery life
  • the access to a dictionary means you don't have to flip between books or pretend you know what something means
  • just like folding the corner or using a bookmark for a paper book, the Paperwhite lets you return to the page you left...which is hugely beneficial when you're on the go or can't stay up all night with a "page-turner"
  • the biggest advantage...how many books does a Kindle hold?  OK, that's more of a riddle but I think having hundreds (thousands?) of books instantly available to you will quickly make up for the cost of owning one of these.

The One I Want...The Kindle Fire HD Tablet


As a guy this one just has too many cool features that I cannot pass up.  We like our gadgets and such and the more that something can do the more we want it!  I'm looking at the Kindle Fire HD 7".  At $199.00, I think it is a nice compromise between the cheapest and the most expensive Kindle.  Here's why I plan to buy one of these:
  • Dolby Audio - OK, that just sounds cool and because I've "grown up with Dolby" I'm very biased towards it and like it when a product includes this great sound system.
  • This one, too, has the anti-glare technology which is important for an e-Book
  • The dual antenna WiFi promises faster downloads and streaming
  • I can select the 16 GB (my preferred) or the 32 GB so that I know I have lots of memory.  I've always found that 16 GB has been sufficient for my needs but you will need to determine what you want your tablet to do and how much you will store on it and then make the best decision for yourself.
  • The selections for books, movies, apps and games is especially enticing and even just writing about them in this post makes me want to go out and buy one of these right now (who says you have to wait for Christmas?)
  • Social media?  The Fire has these as well as the ability to take photos and videos
A great advantage with both of these is the cloud storage that is available as well.  Amazon wants to make your reading pleasurable but quickly accessible and have invested a lot in this.  As someone still fairly new to the "cloud world" this is extremely important to me now.

What do you think, is a Kindle the way to go for your boyfriend this Christmas?  From a dad's point of view...most definitely.  It shows you recognize the important of the written word (even electronically) and that this is important enough to share with someone you like.

Enjoy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment